Educational processes and morality are essential to build humanistic characters and to develop art and technology for better life. Local wisdom is both universal and specific as the abstract values possessed by any group of people over the world. In addition, the local wisdom characterizes the specific features of human behavior and socio-cultural features. Originally, local wisdom is various among societies and it is frequently the basis for the members of particular group to have normative and ideal “patron” to control and to organize socio-cultural systems. Therefore, local wisdom influences the particular features of humans’ languages, arts, and other cultural items. Promoting and learning features of local wisdom in various societies are essential for better learning on language, art, and culture as the ways to build and develop humanistic characters.
To have deep exploration and scientific description on local wisdom of particular groups of people and to relate them to the equipollent features of language, art, culture, are highly valuable to support the logic works and the success of qualified learning on the humanistic-cultural phenomena. Accordingly, it is on the right ‘path’ to have scientific-academic discussion on local wisdom in relationship with language, art, and culture of particular society to support and to assign their better learning, then. These are all necessary to build humanistic characters and honest-civil societies in this modern-global era, then. For these reasons, Fakultas Bahasa dan Seni (The Faculty of Language and Art), Universitas Negeri Padang (The State University of Padang) is intentionally held The 4th International Seminar on Languages and Art (ISLA-4) with the theme:
“Promoting Local Wisdom and Enhancing Better Learning on Language, Art, and Culture”
- Exploring, identifying, and describing local wisdom on languages, arts, and cultures;
- Specific features of languages, arts, and cultures for humanistic values and cross-cultural communication;
- Positioning local wisdom for better learning on language, art, and culture;
- Positioning features of languages, arts, and cultures for better learning materials;
- Designing local wisdom-based curriculum and assessments on languages, arts, and cultures;
- Local wisdom extracted from languages, arts, and cultures for elementary and high schools’ students;
- Local wisdom and better learning on languages, arts, and cultures at university.
This international seminar aims at exploring, studying, describing, and promoting the phenomena of local wisdom existing in particular societies relating to language, art, and culture. In addition, the seminar is also supposed to discuss the valuable features of local wisdom which are possibly assigned to enhance better learning on language, art, and culture.
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ismet Fanany, M.A. (Deakin University, Australia)
- Dr. Rebeca Fanany, M.A. (Deakin University, Australia)
- Prof. Dr. Kim, Jang-Gyem, (Hankuk University of Foreign Study, South Korea)
- Dr. Effindi Syamsudin, M.A. (Pusat Pengkajian Melayu, Universiti Malaya, Malaysia)
- Prof. Kyoko Funada, Ph.D. (Kanda University of International Studies, Chiba – Japan)
- Prof. Dr. Eckhart Voigts (Braunsweigh University of Technology, Germany)
- Prof. Drs. I Ketut Artawa, M.A., Ph.D. (Universitas Udayana, Indonesia)
- Prof. Dr. Ermanto, S.Pd., M.Hum. (Universitas Negeri Padang, Indonesia)
- Prof. Dr. Sri Hastanto (ISI Surakarta)